At Dubai Dolphinarium we have 6 seals – Northern Fur Seals & South American Fur Seals. Want to know more about them? Here are some facts about seals!
How long do seals live for?
- Seals can live up to 25 years
How many different species of seals are there?
- There are 33 species of seals in total.
How long can seals hold their breath for?
- Some seals can hold their breath for nearly two hours underwater by conserving oxygen. A seal has a clear membrane that covers its eyes underwater. In addition, its nostrils close and blood circulation to most of its organs is reduced while diving.
How do seals communicate?
- Seals make growls and grunts underwater. Females and pups often call to each other.
How do seals keep warms?
- Seals are insulated from the cold by a thick layer of blubber & fur.
How often do seals give birth & how do they look after their babies?
- A female seal, called a cow, gives birth to one pup about once a year on land. The pups are nursed between 4 days and 1 month. Most mother seals don't eat themselves while nursing relying mainly on blubber stores for nutrition. After weaning her pup, she will have to regain her weight.
How do seals sleep?
- Seals can sleep underwater. They can even surface to breathe without waking up.
Why do seals have whiskers?
- They have whiskers to detect prey. Seals are able to judge the size of an object using their whiskers.